Hetas and Building Reg Part J

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Newbie here so please be gentle with me!
We have come across a potential problem with our Hetas installed 5kw multi fuel stove and twin walled flue install.
We have found out that Building Regs Part J say that a chimney for a solid fuel stove must be 150mm (6 inch) in diameter, unless it is a Defra approved one, when it can be 5 inch. Our stove is not Defra. The single flue outlet pipe is 5 inch, but the twin walled flue going up through the house is also 5 inch internally (7 inch externally, including the insulation.)
The flue was supplied and fitted by a Hetas installer, who has signed off the installation, and we have the Completion Certificate.
Researching this, I have found that the only reason the Building Regs state 6 inch is due to people not sweeping their flues as often as they should. We burn the stove hot, and are happy to have it swept as often as required, and do not really want to have the flue ripped out as it works fine, with a decent draw. However, technically, the installers have not complied with the current Building Regs, even though we have documents saying that they have. They were really decent guys, so I don't think they have intentionally done this, but we wonder where we stand now, having found this out?
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back