Paid for HETAS certificate - HETAS haven't been notified... what to do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just arranged for a multi-fuel stove to be replaced at my mum's house. It's been a really awful experience, the company were great in terms of the stove installation but really felt like they took the p**s re: cancelling multiple times and constantly rising estimate and the company employing plumbers who left without getting the heating working again but anyway I digress and my query is this...

Getting a HETAS certificate was always part of the job and is on our receipt - and we got told that this would be provided once we paid. They left, we paid and nothing happened so assumed it maybe would be in the post - we contacted the company and they said the plumber should have given us a certificate but they would provide it in a few weeks' time. This seemed really odd as the stove company were the ones whose job it was, the plumbers were a local firm who they'd got out to connect the stove. I got in touch with HETAS to make sure everything was above board and they said that the installers should have notified HETAS within 10 days of completion of the works and, looking at our address and the company, this has not been done. They suggested we fill in their formal complaint form and contact Citizen's Advice.

Does anyone know - if HETAS haven't been notified, does that mean the work can't be certified, i.e. the stove fitter can't give us a certificate now? Is the only option now to report them to HETAS or can we work it out with the company still? Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Your first port of call should be to the company you engaged to do the work. Do everything by writing/texting/emailing. Don't take any verbal answers without some form of written confirmation. Also contact the plumbing company to see what they have to say about it. Again, in writing.
Once you have an idea of what they are all saying, it will give a clearer picture of your next steps to take.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back