Wood Burner liner Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need some advice regarding a wood burning stove and liner.
I recently had a multifuel stove and flexible liner fitted, the flexible liner caused lots of problems for the Hetas engineers having to put holes in walls etc.
The stove was fitted by what we thought were a reputable company, however right from the outset we had problems with wood moisture running down the outside of the stove pipe onto the stove, after lots of phone calls to the original installer we were left with no alternative but to contact a Hetas engineer, which the original installer was not.
Anyway the system was condemned as the liner was torn, hopefully we will be getting a full refund.
The Hetas engineer has told us that we are not able to get a 6" liner down without damaging it so has advised a 5" to be used with a smoke control wood burner, I have contacted building control who said that if the engineer was willing to pass the work off that would be ok, I also contacted Hetas who also said this would be ok, but did add that there might be reduced draw because of the 5" liner and also that the chimney would have to be regularly cleaned.
I would like some thoughts on the above, I really don't want to have any problems like the last three months.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Nobody is allowed to reduce the size of the manufacturers flue outlet on the stove. You should have a 9in brick chimney and a 6in liner should and will go down it , if you have a change of direction in the 9in chimney and liner is difficult to go round it. Open up the brickwork at that point and feed the liner round by hand. Done it many times when I was on the tools, no such word as cant my old tutor used to say. Don't burn wood with any moisture in it, store in the dry for 3yrs. Hetas gave wrong advice, A 5in flue will "increase" chimney draught and will clog up with soot and tar quicker. My best advice is only burn wood with doors open and Smokeless Fuel when stove doors are shut . I know this advice may not be what you want to hear but after a lifetime in the trade thats what I would do.

we had three holes in the wall the last time, and six men and it still got damaged.
The stove we are looking has a 5" outlet, so no need to alter anything there.
If your increasing the draught that will take the smoke away from the stove faster and decrease the deposits, unless you mean down draught.

Thanks

Hi, Thats fine if outlet on stove is 5in. Yes draught is increased up chimney, Deposits occur mainly when stove is shut down, hence my advice run it with doors open when burning wood. Use Smokeless fuel when doors are shut.
However if your chimney is so difficult to line, that 6 men couldn't achieve satisfactory outcome , you might be better off without a solid fuel stove altogether. You see even if they do get smaller liner in , how are you going to sweep it afterwards and that is a must do at least annually depending on use. PS, before parting with cash get installer to show you that he can sweep it.

Sponsored Links
There shouldn't be any moisture running down the outside of the flue. Either your wood is green or rain is running down from the chimney.

did they not put the flue in with the aid of a camra bost stacks will take a 7 or 8 inch flue which is best for log burners if you fit a 5 inch you will always be getting it swept so fit a T for excess to save having to remove the burner out every time you get it swept it may be your midfethears in the stack have been moved a good enganer will have a camra to see it would cost around £40 well that would be my charge

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back