HETAS information needed am I liable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Im new to this so thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

We moved to a property 2 years ago and within the first few months we had a HETAS registered installer come and start a job for us which was to install a stainless steel flue liner on the outside of our property and hook up to our new clear view stove in the dining room.

At the time the floor in our dining room was un finished so the HETAS installer could not finish the job all in one go. So he did what he could on the outside and poked part of the flue through the wall into the dining room and roughly filled the holes around to finish on his next visit. On his departure we paid him in full and we were to contact him to return and finish off and commission etc.

Unfortunately it took some time for us to finish the floor in our dining room due to money being spent else where but once it was done we were excited to get our new stove up and running. So me and the wife hooked the stove up to the flue ourselves, it just slipped right into place. We lit it and things seemed fine! Weeks passed, months and then years in-fact and we thought nothing of it, apart from on windy nights we got some smoke blowing back into the room but just lived with it.

2 years on we had a HETAS chimney sweep come to service the stove and sweep the flue. He did this but informed us that the installation had not been fitted correctly nor signed off with HETAS.

We have been in touch with the installer. To our horror he informed us that we are liable for the installation as we fitted the stove ourselves. Also because we didn't ask him to come and finish the job, connect the stove and commission the install was never signed off.

I know some time has passed and we have used the stove but is the HETAS installer correct? Are we liable for any problems now?

Any information on where we stand would be greatly appreciated no matter if its now what we want to hear!!

Sponsored Links
apart from on windy nights we got some smoke blowing back into the room but just lived with it.
Apart from the smoke it was a great success!!!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

How on earth can the engineer be responsible when he didn't commission it and you fitted the stove? :rolleyes: You're only contacting him because there's a problem, otherwise you would have never bothered.

Clearly your installer is not responsible or liable for your work. Rather than antagonising him, I would be asking him very nicely if he will re-do your non-compliant installation correctly and get it signed off with building control. Did he say in what respect the installation was not compliant?

Clearly you haven't died yet, but if the installation is leaking then you risk damaging your health with carbon monoxide. In the event of fire your insurance company may require evidence that the installation was legal.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
To our horror he informed us that we are liable for the installation as we fitted the stove ourselves. Also because we didn't ask him to come and finish the job, connect the stove and commission the install was never signed off.

How could you not see that would be the case? The guy didn't finish the job. It's not surprising that it was never commissioned or notified. To have done so would have been fraudulent on his part.

Get somebody qualified in to rip it out and start again?

Back