Chimney flue planning application. Help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

We've recently had a steel flue fitted to the side of the house as we've had a stove put in. The flue is on the side of the property and is not in a prominent position, ie overlooking public highway etc and is under 1 metre above the roof. There are at least 12 other flues in the estate none of which have needed planning permission. However, the local council has said that we now need to submit retrospective planning application and we are stuck in submitting plans.

We need to submit exisisting and proposed elevation drawings (within 3 weeks) but are unsure of how we go about this. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
We need to submit exisisting and proposed elevation drawings (within 3 weeks) but are unsure of how we go about this. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance
Unless you're in a restricted area, or had your PD rights removed, they're bluffing - they just want your £172.

Thank you both. Are there any Apps or websites that can help me with producing drawings for planning or do i have to pay someone to do it?

Sponsored Links
Before submitting an application, are you absolutely sure you need planning permission?
It is not unknown for planning departments to work this way to get funds in.

Are you stating that im not answering questions freddiemercurystwin? The clause quoted by the council in the original planning app for the estate suggests its a restricted area, but its a bit vague. There are lots of other flues on the estate fitted by the same company but this is the first time theyve heard of someone needing permission. We're resigned to having to get retrospective permussion, just need a little advice on elevation drawing.

Permitted Development is either restricted or it's not, saying its a bit vague' sounds like you're unsure so I would satisfy yourself that planning permission is definitely required before you stump up for the cash to apply. Councils are often incompetent.

Thanks for that. Ive just gone through the original planning permission the developer was granted and its is a permitted development conditional clause that no external alterations be made without prior written permission. So i assume thats it. Sorry, brand new to this but thanks for your help.

It does sound like a condition on the original planning application has removed permitted development rights. Sometimes the restrictions and special conditions can be very vague and confusing. It often helps to look at recent planning applications for nearby properties on the Councils planning website, if you look at the planning officers report on a few they usually list all the restrictions and relevant planning policies. So if the estate has had permitted development rights withdrawn or it is in a conservation area etc. it should be mentioned.

OK fine, in that case you need to apply for planning permission but note there will be an exemption from the council fee as ordinarily this work would be PD.

Or, you could just sit back and do nothing, the council are unlikely to ever take any enforcement action given that it's only a minor breach and I'd find it hard to believe it wouldn't be approved if you did apply. :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back