Highways - planning application problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, newbie here, so hopefully I'm in the right area.

Before we submitted our planning application, we visited Planning who also consulted with Highways on our behalf.

So, we submitted our £1000 application and have had due feedback from Planning as no issues from them.

However, Highways has not kicked back due to visibility issues.

Has anyone got experience of dealing with Highways appeals or suggestions as to what I can do to fight my case. I'm already investigating how many any accidents on the road and starting to monitor traffic flow at different times.

Can anyone provide expertise/advice, it would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
visibility issues? Could you provide a scan of the part of the plan they have issue with? We need more info. surely they gave more info? you cant expect us to read your or their mind.

Hi Steve. I've not had anything official yet - I just got an early warning from Planning that they were happy but Highways weren't.

I called the Highways guy who stated that his concern was if we were the 'X' distance of 2.4metres, then we would not have sufficient visibility to our right hand side. FYI, the road to our right runs for approx 50yards into a dead end. The speed limit is 30mph, though traffic never goes this fast due to it all being residential and therefore slowing down to park up. I never go above 20mph (it's more like 15mph) and I drive the same speed as everyone else.

I have read that visibility splays can be as short as 2 metres (for low use traffic). If they were to use this figure then I can see for 47 yards to my right.

Does that provide enough info?

I'm curious what challenges people have used against highways. Although I am biased, it amazes me that a quiet road should cause me this issue.
Thanks for help/advice. If you need pics, I'll try upload (if it's possible).

John

a drawing to scale would be a big help to us..

or even a grid reference for google earth... but I think the admins and mods would soon delete it to save the nutters from visiting you..

what exactly is the planning for? a new build, extension, outbuilding etc?

Sponsored Links
Hi Coljack. We're looking to convert our house into 5 flats (same footprint). Planning are fine with it. Highways have the visibility splays issue to the right of our property. I checked the traffic flow between 7.30-9.30am on Weds (7 cars). Hardly busy!

The google earth ref is 53 44 25.75N and 1 24 57.25W. The visibility splay with the issue is to the right of the driveway and is obscured by a white van on this particular image! the width at the bottom of the drive (at its widest where it meets the road is 6 metres). On the drive it is 4.3 metres.

Thanks for your help

My opinion is the Highways are correct to be concerned about the view to the right on exit.

Also it does look like there is vegetation which could grow and further obscure the view if there is no provision to control the growth.

And the low traffic flow doesn't affect the need for clear view. Or if anything it could make people less carefull about pulling out.

Thanks guys. Some really useful stuff in the Manual for Streets, including using a 2m splay (despite the Highways guy referring me to the same manual and stating that 2m splays are 'old rules').

I've decided to pay a Hioghways Consultant to come and make an assessment. He's proposing radar to check speeds and a 2 metre splay being acceptable given section 7.7.7 states that '2m may be considered in very lightly trafficked and slow speed situations'. Given today's figures of 12 cars in 2 hours, I'd call that lightly trafficked.

FAO Bernard.
Thanks for your comments Bernard. Tbh, using google I would agree with your concerns bre the vegetaion, though at ground level it's not an issue as it appears. However, when in the car, with a 2m visibility splay, I can see 47 yards to the right i.e. just about to where you see the white vehicle (assumung there wasn't a van blocking my drive!) ;)

Given the road speed of cars averages 20mph (most are paring up, as it's a dead end to the right), I believe that should be enough visibility. Given traffic coming from the right has come a maximum of 50 yards, it's never more that 20mph anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back