Cheering in Parliament after motion to melt firefighters pay freeze...

I hope one day you need the emergency services and they don't turn up.

says the bloke who thinks he occupies the moral high ground :LOL: the defender of free speech & democracy or he says ;)

I hope when or if u ever require the emergency services "that they do turn up for you"

Sponsored Links
They can't force the employee to retire or make him redundant on the basis of age. So while its wrong to give him redundancy as a golden goodbye - If they want shot, they have to invite him to retire via a voluntary severance scheme, which is probably what they have agreed. Otherwise they are left with capability assessment and dismissal, which is a bit mean. Not to mention likely to result in a few legal claims.

In an ideal world, we'd all have defined benefits schemes, but we don't and public sector workers forget the huge value of their tax free pensions when comparing themselves against those working in the private sector who have to work in a entirely different way.

What you on about. I am replying to the poster. What Fraud?
Claiming to make someone redundant two months before retirement.

This was either intentional to enable the payment to someone who was leaving anyway or

incompetence costing the council (tax payer) an unnecessary expense.

Dare I hazard a guess that anobium's bil was an executive rather than a cleaner.

Has John Major issued details of his talks?
You must be trying to make some kind of point. I wonder what it is. Perhaps you are saying "Theresa has done what even Brown and Major didn't do."

She's spent a lot of our money trying to hang on to her house in London.

Am I ? or am I just stating that Labour had talks with the DUP in 2010 with a view to forming a coalition

details of the talks have never been released by labour.

It was a question asked on Radio 4 in an interview with a labour shadow cabinet member.

I do not know what the BBC interviewer was hinting at or what his point was ?

You would be best advised to contact the BBC over the issue :)

Sponsored Links
Thank you. I have looked it up. I did not know that.

So, it could be a conspiracy between someone actually wanting to retire and his friendly employer in order to extract payment.

The redundancy point still stands.

Yes, if matey walks in to his boss and says, its my time to go, how about a package, then it isn't acceptable. Personally, if he was still able to do the job, I'd call his bluff and let him terminate his employment rather than use tax payers money to give him a send off.

Private sector pensions have to be funded by the company, whereas public sector pensions are funded by tax receipts from central or local government. Public sector pensions were always better because wages were supposedly lower, but they caught up recently..

As to the ermergency services, we all know members that do second jobs, and I wouldn't say it's immoral at all, but it does show that they aren't as hard up as some seem to think, but also, neither are they more deserving than others either. I think the nurses etc (not the doctors) are a far more deserving case than the emergency services.

Yes, if matey walks in to his boss and says, its my time to go, how about a package, then it isn't acceptable.

Yes, boss is a better term than employer, especially in the council.

I find it difficult to imagine such things happening as its almost unheard of for top executives to receive such payments.

Just to clarify a few points.
He was a manual worker, not a manager or a pen pusher.
He had reached retirement age and qualified to get the state pension.
He got the equivalent of almost 2 years wages in his redundancy payment.
Yes I found it hard to believe.
I don't blame him good luck to him, but it just shows what pi**ocks run our councils.
When I was working I lost track of the number of times councils practically threw money away on various projects, for a variety of reasons.
The most common one was towards the end of financial year with the excuse that they still had some money left and had to spend it, otherwise they would be penalised by central government

I think the nurses etc (not the doctors) are a far more deserving case than the emergency services.
Yes.

Do nurses go and get second jobs? If not, why not?

We will have to wait for Blightymam or Judy to tell us unless any one else knows.

Public sector VS schemes are a joke, they are often blind. My mrs worked for the council for 16 years, they announced a reduction in force and invited employees to apply for VS if they wanted. She lined up a job in a week, applied for VS and because it was blind her boss had no visibility that she'd been approved. He then offered her promotion to stay, because he didn't want to lose her. She declined, got paid to leave and started work immediately. The VS scheme means their best people leave and the crap clings on until the next round.

He was a manual worker, not a manager or a pen pusher.
He had reached retirement age and qualified to get the state pension.
He got the equivalent of almost 2 years wages in his redundancy payment.
Yes I found it hard to believe.
Incompetence, then.

I don't blame him
No, not at all.

The most common one was towards the end of financial year with the excuse that they still had some money left and had to spend it, otherwise they would be penalised by central government
Yes, lots of road repairs in March.

Do u work for the council?
What is good for the public sector should also apply to the private sector.
What about the redundancy payments, the basic maximum is around £8k but name me a public sector employer who ever paid that.
Again one rule for public sector workers and one for the rest of us.

Don't work for the council, or ever have or ever will.
What do you mean by good? You have examples.
So you would rather have employers not pay redundancy? You are arguing for bad employers - doesn't make sense.
Both operate under the labour laws.

Are you arguing that the public sector employees have an easy time compared to the private sector? If that was the case then wouldn't we see zero vacancies for the public sector as people would be queuing up to take the jobs?

Sponsored Links
Back