Cherrypicker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hired one of these with a mate go paint 8 metre high walls on a flat. Trying to keep wheels off ground and get two spirit levels level. Any advice? There are pads under feet of outriggers
20211016_120353.jpg
20211016_120418.jpg
20211016_120405.jpg
20211016_120845.jpg

Sponsored Links
20211016_192719.jpg
How much was it?
£280 for week. We think 8 metres is too high for ladders. Weighs 1.3 tonnes and we're struggling to push it over grass. What's the best way to move it round on grass?

. Regarding safety, I guess they're impossible to topple if you get the two spirit levels level and wheels off ground. If it goes off balance the alarms will go I think. But it was quite over to one side earlier (in picture)and I wondered View attachment 247216

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
These are the two levels we try to get right (with wheels off ground). The outriggers not going onto a manhole or drain etc either and have these mat things under the feet. Is there anything else which could topple it?we're only working at 6 or 7 metres as well. Hopefully using on grass soon, it feels firm with all the dry weather. I guess never set up on a slope and my friend said if it is off balance the alarms go

The rest is common sense e.g electric cables and not getting caught between the cage and something. Go slow on controls
Screenshot_20211017-072804_Gallery.jpg

View attachment 247224

Regarding safety, I guess they're impossible to topple if you get the two spirit levels level and wheels off ground. If it goes off balance the alarms will go I think. But it was quite over to one side earlier (in picture)and I wondered View attachment 247216

For God's sake take it back . You are doing this commercially, you need appropriate training. Stop pratting about.

Edit to say, even if you were doing this for yourself you still need appropriate training for your safety, your mates safety and any body nearby.

Last edited:
How accurate are those 2 levels?
There's even a screw missing.
I thought you were using your own levels.

Weighs 1.3 tonnes and we're struggling to push it over grass. What's the best way to move it round on grass?

Regarding safety, I guess they're impossible to topple if you get the two spirit levels level and wheels off ground. If it goes off balance the alarms will go I think. But it was quite over to one side earlier (in picture) and I wondered
MEWP_68382342_p1010522.jpg MEWP BUGPWCV5EN78684PZET8.jpg
Look at these images and tell me that as long as you get things level nothing can go wrong and that they are impossible to topple. Both vehicles being used partly on grass.

Unbelievable they let untrained people hire gear like this, totally irresponsible.
Quite a number of the bigger firms insist on you producing an IPAF licence of the appropriate type. This firm obviously does not. But then in the environment I work in if you haven't got a licence and are caught using a MEWP it's a red card.

OP - this is now the second time you've posted questions about the use of powered access platforms. It is obvious from some of the photos here and the questions you are asking that you don't have a clue how to use them safely, for example, WTF is this guy up to?

Scooby-20211016_192719.jpg

Machine set-up wrong (unsafe on at least 2 counts), in addition no demarkation of restricted pedestrian access around the machine whatsoever (to stop some moron walking beneath the MEWP), operative has no hard hat (also needs to be the appropriate type), no harness from the look of it AND OBVIOUSLY NO ****ING CLUE! FFS spend a couple of hundred quid, do the course (1 day, for goodness sakes) AND MAKE SURE THAT YOUR INSURANCE COVERS YOU FOR OPERATING THESE PLATFORMS because many P&L insurances don't unless you have informed the insurers and YOU ARE APPROPRIATELY QUALIFIED. If an HSE "walking inspector" caught you using that set-up in that way your fine would be eye-watering

MEWP Harness.jpg

MEWP Stability.jpg

MEWP Smoooth and Level 20211016_192719.jpg

From your own photos!!!

[/RANT-OFF]

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone else has PMd me to ask about what is wrong with the cherry picker I'll make a couple of points.

1. You should always put spreader plates onto a relatively flat surface where there is no possibility of causing damage or of the plate moving, The furthest away spreader plate in the photo below straddles a concrete edging and can possibly damage the edging and/or slip, so it isn't right

MEWP Smoooth and Level 20211016_192719.jpg

2. Having spreader plates on different density of surfaces may result in the plates on the softer surface digging in if the earth compacts. You always try to get the feet on a level, relatively dense surface if possible.

3. The OP seems incapable of understanding that moving something weighing 1 tonne is going to potentially damage grass and may become bogged down in or after wet weather. That means in order to avoid damage it is always safer to stick to moving on or working from paved areas. In the instance below this was perfectly feasible had a bit of thought been given to the problem:

Scooby-20211016_192719.jpg

As far as I can see the MEWP could have been positioned nearer to the camera or further away from it where the tarmacced area looks to be wide enough to accommodate the legs. It is always best to avoid moving heavy equipment across soft ground, but if that isn't possible it may be necessary to lay some form of protective sheet on the ground both to protect the ground (especially if grassed) and to avoid any possibility of it sinking in and potentially overturn. Had the OP carried out a simple risk assessment before starting the task (which is what every tradesman should do) this would have been obvious

4. The reason it is necessary to have some form of demarkation of the working area of a MEWP is not only to prevent someone walking into the MEWP when it is in use, but is also to ensure that if anything is dropped from the MEWP then it won't hit a pedestrian. When used in the vicinity of a public highway. It is also necessary to ensure that the rearwards extending boom arm of the MEWP cannot swing out into the traffic, either pedestrian or vehicular

Let's not forget the other bit about ensuring that all heavy items, e.g. tools, are fitted with a lanyard which is clipped either to the basket or the operative (my work pants certainly all have lanyard attachment d-rings) - saves you dropping your shiny tool and damaging it, or worse the head of anyone below it

5. The comment about harnesses comes from the fact that every year people are killed in cherry pickers because they weren't wearing a harness. The video below shows why harnesses are a necessary precaution (skip to about 0:38):

Without harnesses those two guys would have been seriously injured, or even killed.

6. But the thing about harnesses is that they only work if you also have a rescue plan, or in other words a way to be released from hanging around on the harness. That's why you should never work alone on a cherry picker. If you end up getting thrown out of a basket and dangling in your harness you still need someone to get you down - and quickly. Hang there for 20 minutes and it might require an amputation to save your life. So, without a harness, the OP has certainly not got a rescue plan

7. Don't think that a fall from 10 to 15ft can kill you? Think again (and if you don't believe it go look on the RoSPA or HSE web sites). Whilst most falls from lower heights aren't fatal, a head injury is always serious. That's why the HSE now insist on the use of a specific type of hard hat with additional internal padding and a chin strap for working at height (like the hellishly expensive Petzl hard hats sported by many scaffies nowadays - my own is a Centurion, and a bit cheaper). I can testify to the fact that one of those has certainly saved me from serious head injury in the past. Of course it goes without saying that if you are the "spotter" at the bottom you have not only got to keep an eye out for hazards, and watch out for your mate, but also ptobably more than anyone in the vicinity, you need to wear a hard hat, too!

But the worst thing is that at least some of this is on the warning sticker attached to the machine and which the OP has singly ignored. Used correctly by trained personnel these machines are little more hazardous than using a step ladder (in fact less going by the accident statistics), but used badly or in ignorant, untrained hands they have the potential to cause a lot of damage and injury

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to use cherry pickers in the RN aircraft hangars, always with appropriate safety gear and training.

You know it makes sense!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back