Staircase into Cellar Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My cellar is about 10 feet high and 6 feet is under ground level. It is uninhabited and on the ground is a few york stones and earth. The house was constructed in approx. 1810.

I am going to put a staircase in but wasn't sure what to do about the bottom of the staircase. Should I just leave the ground or will the staircase get damp and rot over time?

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

thanks for your help and advice
cheers

Sponsored Links
Are you intending to use the cellar regularly or just for occasional storage etc? We had a cellar in our first house but it wasn't anything special so we just adapted a loft ladder, which being aluminium would probably outlast the house! Good enough for access if appearance isn't important.

I already have a ladder down to the cellar. Store a few things down there.

But I was thinking long term to make it residential.

If you intend on making it habitable you're into Building Regs (at least if you ever legally want to be able to sell the property with a legal habitable space down there) and making it dry so surely it won't get damp over time anyway?

Sponsored Links
timber should not be in contact with damp earth, or even damp concrete.

you can dig out for a concrete pad with DPM for the bottom of the stairs. If you find you enjoy it you can do the rest of the floor too. It is usual to dig out and pour in bays when adjacent to the footings.

Hi,

on the ground is a few york stones and earth. The house was constructed in approx. 1810.

cheers
Sell the York stone :idea: It`ll go a long way towards the cost of a concrete floor - if it`s good sizes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back