Chimney Alterations - precast flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Good afternoon all,

Im in the process of replacing the old multifuel stove in the house we've just bought (it had a hole in the stove pipe and the door wouldnt shut!).

I need to alter the fireplace before the woodburner installers will touch the thing (the opening is currently pretty tiny. The house is a 1980s bungalow with precast flue. Id hoped there would be a second lintel, but it appears the throated lintel picks up the weight. The chimeny reduces to about 60cm once it goes through the ceiling.

I plan to remove the throat and replace with a lintel further up i intend for the flue to be lined anyway. The opening would then be widened by a course of bricks or so.

Any advice or pointers most gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the make of the system, you will probably have a flue adapter on top of this and then the liners, which may be surrounded by insulation, or filled between them and the blockwork with a sand/cement mix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back