Chimney breast lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Would appreciate some advice please.
I have opened up a kitchen chimney breast (pre 1900 terrace) with intention of creating cooker space.
So far i've installed a concrete lintel but have some doubt on its suitability.
Apart from replacing some pilar bricks I am considering replacing with a steel box lintel 100 x 65mm profile.
The concrete lintel has been in for 3 weeks with the props out (but nearby!).
My question is whether the concrete lintel is suitable for the load? it seems a bit skinny to me.
Chimney breast is 1640mm with a 1500mm lintel spanning the 1160mm space.
Also, had planned on venting though side of breast but it happens to be the side of the stack that leans to the right, which increases width as it steps up (just visible)
chimneybreast.jpg
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
The lintel seems to be holding up about 14 bricks, so should be ok.

I don't know what you mean regarding the venting. Just put a vent pipe in wherever you like.

if you're referring to the 14 odd in inverted V above lintel, that was my thinking. Just unsure about the concrete lintel is suitable.
I know the vent will just require a longer core drill but just thinking if any overhanging bricks could be removed and braced to square off the space inside.

Lintel should be fine have you bedded it in upside down or is it just a bad picture?

Sponsored Links
It's a BandQ lintel bedded in on the 100mm side as the base as next pic, not the 65mm side . the bar in the lintel is set a bit lower than shown so it's nearer the base of the lintel profile
conc_4x3_5.png

I always thought these were supposed to work with new brickwork above them and not be used to support a pile of bricks and lime dust. B&Q probably don't make this clear when they sell them. Also, the lintel itself should be propped until the new brickwork has set - to stop it bending!
However, as already stated your house won't fall down.

I always thought these were supposed to work with new brickwork above them and not be used to support a pile of bricks and lime dust.

Also, the lintel itself should be propped until the new brickwork has set - to stop it bending!
No, and no

That's confusing if B&Q are describing it as pre-stressed?
I was just thinking of whipping it out for a box lintel same profile to put my mind at rest.
If not required, do you think i've bedded it the right way - as photo? I did read up thats the right way.
can't see putting it on short edge would be stronger in a composite material.. unlike steel in same profile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back