Chimney breast removal - Want advice re Lintel

zo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just having my chimney breast removed. The lintels have arrived and I am surprised to see that it is a concrete beam with two thin metal strips inside the so called lintel. I thought lintels were alway made of iron/metal. Will the concrete beam be enough to support the chimney stack in the loft and the chimney/pots above the roof. I need advice now urgently as the builders are here. The guys removing the chimney breast is not sure how to do it, so is waiting for the guy employing them to show him how to do it. In the meantime, the worker has removed top half of the chimney in the upstairs room without any supports at all. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Chimney stacks in the roof space are usually supported off a steel beam spanning between the load-bearing walls below, or - less adviseable - on metal brackets (aka gallows brackets) fixed immediately underneath.

Concrete lintels may not necessarily lend themselves to this type of work, but a pic or sketch would enable us to see the situation better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back