chimney breast plaster smells of wood smoke

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! In the process of redecorating our bedroom, and have noticed that our lined chimney breast above the open fire in our 1950's house smells of smoke. It's not filling the room or anything terrible, it just smells when you get in close proximity to the plaster from about a third of the way up the plastered wall.
Is the most likely cause of this a crack in the mortar behind the plaster? Do we need to do something about it?
I'm not sure it is a new problem (i don't usually go around sniffing my plaster :LOL:) We used to have a largish wooden mirror on the wall, so could have been masking the smell (the wooden back of this smells too)?
Have any of you helpful bods got any advice? many thanks!

Sponsored Links
thanks - had that done by sweep, and flue works fine. There's also no smoke escaping in to the bedroom...

Have a proper smoke test done with the top and bottom blocked off. This will show any smoke escaping.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again - dont want to come across as ungrateful for your help, but just to double check before we go down this road, the plaster has no hairline cracks at all - it is in really good nick, and as smell only starts partway up wall, it wouldn't suggest that smoke is escaping unseen between joists at floor level? do you still think we would 'see' smoke escaping for it to be worth doing this - there is never a smell of smoke in the air? cheers again

Thanks again - dont want to come across as ungrateful for your help, but just to double check before we go down this road, the plaster has no hairline cracks at all - it is in really good nick, and as smell only starts partway up wall, it wouldn't suggest that smoke is escaping unseen between joists at floor level? do you still think we would 'see' smoke escaping for it to be worth doing this - there is never a smell of smoke in the air? cheers again
maybe it`s had a chimney fire - used to be a regular occurence @ our 1950`s council house , despite having the sweep in regularly :confused: we occupied it during the 60`s. maybe it`s just dodgy Sussex builders ;)

hi! funny you should say that-the previous owners had had a fire - chimney was split at the very top, so we had it taken right down to roof level and rebuilt. If we've got a liner - do you think we got a serious problem that needs sorting, or can we live with it as long as we refrain from plaster snorting habit...

I think that if you have any doubts about a flue it's worth getting a proper check on it. Even small leaks of carbon monoxide can have a serious efffect over a period of time. You can get an air pressure test as well which will tell you if it's leaking, but not where.

thanks Stuart - will get on to it. in my ignorance didn't realise log fires produced it, as there is so much hype only surrounding gas and monoxide poisoining. cheers again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back