Chimney Breast Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

An elderly relative of mine moved into a property a few months ago. The property has an open fire which they intend to use this winter. The walls above and around the chimney are drylined - dot and dab application. Notably the fire had never been used by the previous occupier.

I was asked if i could clean the chimney for them as i have the necessary equipment but when i looked up the chimney i noticed that the drylining of the chimney breast extended down behind the fire surround and the cast iron insert.

There is about a 10mm gap between the drylinng and the blockwork as it has been dot and dabbed on, however this gap has not been sealed in anyway which didnt seem right to me. I would have thought that gases from the open fire could potentially enter the gap behind the plasterboard and travel into the floor void and the bedrooms above resulting in say carbon monoxide poisioning.

Im not too familair with drylining around chimney breast, however this just didnt seem right to me. Any one more knowledgeable have any thoughts on this. Appreciate any opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back