Chimney breast project - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to recreate the below look.

I bought an electric fire to fill the space where the logs are, but it was awful and I’ve decided electric fires are too tacky.

I have a plasterboarded wall. Behind is the old fireplace. I want to to create the same look as the picture.

how do I achieve this? I will be tiling the area with brick slips to create the brick effect as the actual bricks behind aren’t in good shape.

however, it’s the recess where the logs go I am struggling with. Do I board it with ply? How do I stop it being draughty? Ply box with a small vent at the top?

it looks like a black metal box is there (in the picture I want to recreate - I have added arrows to show what I mean) . I have tried searching for this but I can’t find anything remotely like it! Or is it just metal trim?

if anyone can advise how I create this recess for the logs, appreciated.

I have put photos of how it looks now, and what’s behind it.

Just FYI I took the old faux fireplace out, boarded with a vent and now want to change to the picture (roughly)

before
C11EE798-49C0-4915-AA5E-6490F8461DE4.jpeg
after my last work

20E513BA-D2E1-4827-AA89-D4D3B1886179.jpeg

What I want to achieve now

4D321EDF-5C2D-4DED-BC29-CDA04F9202AA.jpeg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back