chimney breast removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if anyone can help,

I am in the process of buying a 1930's semi that has had the chimney breast removed in the bedroom (party wall). This was picked up on a house buyers report, the surveyor put it down as "green no1" (no action required) and commented there was no visible signs of lack of support.

I Spoke to the present owner who said it was done before he bought house (1984). He also showed me the survey report done at this time. This says the stack is supported by timbers laid across the joists, these are not visible now as the loft has been converted.

Is this sufficient support?

Am i being paranoid or does this warrant further investigation ?

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't worry myself. Remember that the chimney bricks are bonded into the wall. Those surveys are useless.

use steels all the time m8 never use wood ill post pics of the site im on at the mo
DSC00397.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

DSC00399.jpg

DSC00390-1.jpg

Why are you continually spamming the forums?

Sponsored Links
Always Remember the chimney is part of the structure of the house and its removal should be carefully considered before any work is carried out. :LOL:

Like the surveyor states, check for signs of any movement/cracking etc near the chimney.. but beyond that as the work was carried out over 26 years ago i wouldnt worry..

Be aware of what has been done to support the stack if you or your neighbour look into any future works on the chimney..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back