Chimney breast removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we are renovating our kitchen and have discovered that the chimney breast in the bedroom above seems to be supported by two (decorative looking) stone pillars. we need to be able to support the chimney breast but we want to remove these pillars is there any other way of doing this

Sponsored Links
Normal method in the loft is large steel brackets rawl-bolted to the wall with a lintel accross under the hanging brickwork.

If it is only the ground floor, you need to support it by a cross beam in the ceiling. I don't think there is much load - it's to stop the bricks unravelling and the whole thing collapsing.

I have no adjacent load bearing walls near this chimney am i right i thinking that we could use steel gallows brackets?

Sponsored Links
Gallows brackets arent recommended unless you have party wall chimney with a neighbouring chimney intact on the other side. Of course you are then reliant on your neighbour not removing the chimney his side. I would either recommend supporting it by steels onto walls or total removal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back