Chimney collapsed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long story short, the SE said the chimney had to go as it was unsafe. As the roofers were taking it down today the whole lot collapsed from roof to ceiling on itself completely covering the lounge on the ground floor below in soot !!!

Wife on meltdown, roofers no comment ... Me totally ****ed off !!

Surely a roofer should know stick something up the chimney .. I had no idea that the amount of dust would come down like this

Any way is there any way to block up the disused chimney from below. I've seen these draft excluders / balloon things but do I need to retain air flow at all ?

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you mean.

Seriously .... The previous owners had hardwalled over it to hide the dodgy repair.

Sponsored Links
FRAN1870, hi.

Find out if the Roofer??? has any Insurances in place, either PI. [Professional Indemnity] or PL. [Public Liability] If the builder has either or both then the Damage occasioned by the builders "Negligence" could mean that you have an Insurance Claim against the builders and his Insurers???

Ken.

Yes that's my thought but I'm not one for fuss like that really ..... I run my own business and like every business experience the occasional Customer complaint or problem. It's how you deal with it

If the chimney is coming down, and presumably being covered over under the roof, then there's no need for an airflow up it, as there'd be nowhere for the air to go. You should be able to board over the fireplace, or just stick one of those balloon/umbrellas up it without any problems.

All abandoned chimney flues require ventilation, its a must, even swept flues need to be ventilated. Short lengths of flue also need ventilation to prevent hygroscopic salts (soot) from liquidising and coming through the brickwork to disfigure the decorated chimney breast surfaces.

FRAN1870, you can block the fire opening anyway you like but you must have vents in the top and bottom of the flue. You could leave your flue(s) open in the loft, that would be a top vent if the remains of the flue(s)/chimney breast run up to the rafters.
I've just re-read that the "collapse was from roof to ceiling" - are you saying that the stack had already been demolished below the roofline before any "collapse"?
Do you have any photos of before or as it is now?

I'm interested in why the stack or chimney breast "collapsed" - it sounds like the person taking it down was careless or ignorant of how to do such a simple task.
Likewise the lack of any precautions to prevent rubble dropping down the flue(s).
Was this a single flue stack or a multi-flue stack?

Last edited:
Common sense alone would dictate that you seal off the fireplace openings when you demolish a chimney stack as you are bound to get some debris falling down the flue no matter how careful you are and you should sweep the chimney prior to demolition to cut down on soot dispersal.

I seem to recall from previous posts that their quote was very low, I suppose that's what happens when you get roofers to do demolition work. Maybe they should stick to roofing.

Well it's even cheaper now as I've raised the complaint and threw dummy out the pram and stormed off to another job and then text me telling me to keep the money and never contact them again.

I despair I really do.... Professional looking company with nice clean vans and what was good communication.

4 blokes on day rate £1200 to fit 4 X velux Windows an take down the chimney stack to ceiling level.

I think it's carelessness too but I'm £1200 better off now to pay for all the dust damage.

Seriously I've just removed the fire surround and there's 18 inches of dust in the bottom of the flu !!

They've left a right ducking mess !!

I have a gravel driveway and they chose to cut the tiles on the lawn leaving sharp clippings !!

I could write a book

All abandoned chimney flues require ventilation, its a must, even swept flues need to be ventilated. Short lengths of flue also need ventilation to prevent hygroscopic salts (soot) from liquidising and coming through the brickwork to disfigure the decorated chimney breast surfaces.

FRAN1870, you can block the fire opening anyway you like but you must have vents in the top and bottom of the flue. You could leave your flue(s) open in the loft, that would be a top vent if the remains of the flue(s)/chimney breast run up to the rafters.
I've just re-read that the "collapse was from roof to ceiling" - are you saying that the stack had already been demolished below the roofline before any "collapse"?
Do you have any photos of before or as it is now?

I'm interested in why the stack or chimney breast "collapsed" - it sounds like the person taking it down was careless or ignorant of how to do such a simple task.
Likewise the lack of any precautions to prevent rubble dropping down the flue(s).
Was this a single flue stack or a multi-flue stack?

The stack was unsafe and SE advised to take it down ... The previous owner had plastered it over in the attain to hide it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back