What is the correct procedure for removing chimney?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm want to take down my chimney

So i plan to bring in a builder/roofer to take down the chimney to below the roof line (and make good)

I then plan to remove the chimney breast (and make good)

What I want to know is whether i need to involve/inform anyone (like building control etc) or seek permission from anyone?

Or can i simply crack on?

If it helps, the chimney is not adjoining any neighbour. I have a passage way as the property is an end of terrace.

Nearest neighbour property is approximately 5 foot away.

Sponsored Links
It will almost certainly not require B Regs unless the chimney is providing buttressing to the gable.
From memory planning permission may apply if its in a conservation area.

It will almost certainly not require B Regs unless the chimney is providing buttressing to the gable.

I'm not in a conservation area

So we can crack on with the removal

No building regs required

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I needed b regs for removal of the complete chimney, they wanted details on how the rafters would be patched, and the same for the ceiling joists. The engineer said 3x M12 bolts with 3mm square washers, at 200mm spacing, with dog tooth nuts between. And they came to inspect it.

I had BC involvement in mine, but that was because I was redoing the entire roof in Concrete tiles instead of asbestos slates. As soon as they heard there weren't going to be any floating chimney breasts they lost interest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back