Chimney Cowl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

A while ago I had fitted a designer fire, this is a german built in unit curved glass nice and neat, remote control. The fire place was re-bricked to take the fire. The chimney is built onto the house outside wall so its jutts out.
The twin flue pipe for the fire (Balanced?) runs straight through the wall and is caged on the outside. All correct I hope?

My question finally is, we get a lot of draught under the fire facia into the lounge area. Can I "cap" the original chimney ? When it rains we can hear the water hitting the steel plate the fitter fitted to block off the original chimney.
I spoke to the fitter who was happy to come back and cap it but he never returned my calls in the end.

Sorry this is a bit long but I wanted to give as much info as poss.

Many thanks
Stoyer

Sponsored Links
What fire is it - I assume it's Room Sealed, if there's a concentric flue pipe it will be.

Absolutely you can cap it as far as the fire is concerned. The chimney would NOT be an acceptable route for any sort of ventilation requirement the fire may have (CHeck the installation instructions on that).
When you say "under the facia" I hope you mean wholly outside of the fire, which should be Rooms Sealed, so no part of its flue or air intake can pass air or gasses to the room.

So the chimney should be no different from any other disused one. Ventilation to prevent any dampness lurking, is recommended. The "Sailors Hat" seems to be very popular - will look for an image.

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/capping-unused-chimneys.html

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove/img/flue_ventilator.jpg

Hi Chris,

The fire is on legs and sits on a slate bed, below the fire between the slate and the fire base are all the controls, valve, remote receiver etc..

This lot is then covered when the curved glass facia is bolted in place. The facia has a hinged door which latches magnetically to the fire facia. Basically the fire is smaller than the facia, the facia is slightly bigger then the fire place aperture.
If that makes any sense. ?

The fire is completely sealed from anything - out of the rear is the twin pipe flue which goes through a large hole drilled in the brickwork. One core for air and one for fumes ?

The draught comes from under the fire when not in use ?
I feel the fitter should have mentioned the capping of the chimney ?
But he did a great job and was very accomadating at the time - drunk a lot of tea too !!

Thanks for your time.

Stoyer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back