Chimney Damp Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an old end terraced house which I rent out (1920s).

I have had an outgoing problem of upstairs damp in an area towards the ceiling and wall below the chimney shaft. I had some work carried out a few years back - the flues capped, however the problem seem to steadily stay the same.

It appears to have got worse in the last few months. A couple of weeks ago I paid another roofer to re-do the leading (flashings?) to the chimney, however after a heavy night of rain this morning I noticed damp on the top of the newly wallpapered wall. Upon going up in the attic I could feel the exterior wall - next to the chimney was still very damp.

Some information:

The chimney stacks belonging to the property were demolished many years ago and the stumped roofed over. However, a brick stack belonging to the neighbour (floating freehold) rises against the West end gable and passes through to verges to this gable.

It is clear that the dampness is penetrating around this stack. The chimney is no longer used. It is also clear that the problem is worse when it rains heavily and when it is windy.

From inside the attic the problem wall - next to the chimney stack - the damp area, which in parts is soaked is an area about 3/4 towards the roof top, the top quarter is dry suggesting that water is not going in through the top of the stack, but the side.

The roofer is now suggesting coating the stack with waterproofing fluid before taking any further steps. This whole area is an unkown entity to me so just seekingadvice. Will the waterproofing coating be sufficient? What else can be done?

Removing the chimney entirely sounds a costly nightmare! Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sorry i am a bit confused here,
The chimney stacks belonging to the property were demolished many years ago and the stumped roofed over
so you have no chimney stack?.

a brick stack belonging to the neighbour (floating freehold) rises against the West end gable and passes through to verges to this gable.
your neighbours chimney.

A couple of weeks ago I paid another roofer to re-do the leading (flashings?) to the chimney.
to your neighbours chimney!. :eek:

Removing the chimney entirely sounds a costly nightmare!
removing what chimney your neighbours. :eek: :eek:

i may have read this post wrong, but as i see it you have no chimney head,it is the adjoining property`s chimney and therefore the onus would be on them to rectify. :!:

Hi Yes you may be right, looking back at the hombuyers report it quotes:

'I believe that the responsibility for it's upkeep lies with the owner of this property'

This is something that will need to be confirmed by a solicitor however as it is a floating freehold which makes the situation slightly more tricky.

On speaking to the roofer other complications come in to place including parts of walls needing to be rebuilt if the chimney is removed and so on.

On another note, if the removal o the chimney is a costly job, which I can imagine it would be, the neighbour is a single elderly man who I am guessing does not have much money. If at all possible I would rather look at other options first.

Cheers

Sorry i am a bit confused here,
The chimney stacks belonging to the property were demolished many years ago and the stumped roofed over
so you have no chimney stack?.

a brick stack belonging to the neighbour (floating freehold) rises against the West end gable and passes through to verges to this gable.
your neighbours chimney.

A couple of weeks ago I paid another roofer to re-do the leading (flashings?) to the chimney.
to your neighbours chimney!.

Removing the chimney entirely sounds a costly nightmare!
removing what chimney your neighbours.

i may have read this post wrong, but as i see it you have no chimney head,it is the adjoining property`s chimney and therefore the onus would be on them to rectify. :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back