Chimney dust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since forever a dry fine golden dust has to be swept off the hearth every day. My parents had a new fireplace installed in the 1960s (!). It was never used for coal fires, they just put an electric fire in the gap.

As I say, the dust is dry, like very fine grain sand really. It's the same colour as the masonry (sorry, don't know the technical term) at the back of the grate area. It's a really small amount of dust but it's a pain having to clear it up every day.

A builder has said the answer is to go up on the roof and put on a cowl, which I guess means a chimney pot also as the old one was removed some years after the fireplace was installed. The quote is for nearly £400.

I'm not convinced that would be the answer and the problem would seem to be internal. You never hear anything falling down. Would sealing the flue at the fireplace end be a solution or is the builder's way the only answer?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
It probably IS fine grain sand ;) from the parging inside the chimney - ie. rough render. Seal @ bottom But leave a vent hole in - to ventilate the chimney. Must be West Sussex for those prices :LOL:

Has the chimney ever been swept, sounds like the liner inside the flue is decaying.
A cowl will stop downdraft, that may well be a cause of unsettling the masonary.
Get a sweep in, they will sweep and investigate further if asked.
£400 :?: bit steep for installing a cowl!

Sponsored Links
West Sussex? Nope, but a bit close for comfort! Thanks both for a potential (cheaper) solution. I didn't think of a chimney sweep, not realising that they'd have an expertise beyond sweeping. Shame on me.
Let's hear it for the sweeps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back