Chimney flashing inside attic filling up with water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve had a leak on my chimney since I moved in 10 years ago. There’s this flashing that’s upturned creating a gutter. This gutter fills with water and overflows. So years ago I drilled a hole in it and placed some speedfit beneath and sent the water off to the soffit. It’s a really strange one and even the roofer couldn’t understand the flashings purpose. He did say The flashing could go all the way to the chimney stacks and the water could be seeping down from the top concrete at the pots, as the concrete is cracked there. I’ve not found anything online about this strange flashing, hoping someone can figure it out.

The bricks above and below are dry, yet the flashing gutter fills up with water. The chimney is shared and the roofer has been up and checked the flashing and all is ok.

The pictures I have show the gutter dry as it hasn’t rained. What’s this gutters purpose, why is it there?

30E546EA-F1C0-4579-9E4D-A85CD9FFE5EF.jpeg

Attachments

• A17C5318-A5EF-46FB-B441-1DAB425DB10A.jpeg
    A17C5318-A5EF-46FB-B441-1DAB425DB10A.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
The lead inside is a tray . Its doing its job or it was until you drilled it, make sure on the outside it has weep holes in the brickwork for drainage

Thanks datarebal. I see what you mean. I came across this picture using your word [flashing] tray and like you say it should drain out the front 4th side which isn’t upturned. I’ll find the weep holes and get them cleared out, then fill the hole in the upturned flashing. Hoping that cures the problem of the upturned side filing with water and spilling over. Do you have any pictures of those front weep holes for reference?

095B9AD2-FB5D-49F9-B4C8-16370549C927.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I found that the flashing on the upturned side where my hole and drainpipe is was bent down causing the water to fall back and fill up the tray then overflow into my attic.
So I bent the tray right back up creating a fall forward for the water to go out the 4th turned down side and filled the drilled hole up.
I then tested the tray by filling it with water and now the water runs clear out the front of the chimney flashing out on to the roof.
Thanks for the knowledge, appreciate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back