Chimney Flue Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking at installing a new wood burning stove in our home which is a bungalow - circa 6 years old.

I was on the roof to check out the chimneys suitability for installing a new liner, it has an open fire at present with what appears to be an 8 inch interlocking clay liner. I noticed that the existing liner can be moved about inside the chimney area - The top interlocked piece sits within the chimney pot and can be moved around like a leaning tower a few inches in any direction until it hits the sides of the chimney pot, the chimney is on the gable of the house and I'd say the clay liner has around 500mm of void space around it in the shaft - I'm not a roofer or a sweep but this seems a bit ropey - Is this normal? Or should the clay liner be restrained within the shaft? We've had the open fire going and seems to be okay in terms of it being functional.

My plan, is to install a 5 inch liner within the clay liner and do all the work myself. I installed one of these in our old house about 8 years ago and it was relatively straight forward and worked really well. I've done some reading online and it looks like the legislation has moved on a bit since then. Can anyone advise if we need any kind of building warrant/planning permission to install? Does this need to be installed by a Hetas engineer? We live in Scotland and do not live in a smoke control zone.

Any advice is appreciated.

Regards.

Sponsored Links
I would imagine you can do the work, but it might have to be inspected and signed off by a Hetas or other qualified person.
For your own peace of mind also.

Sponsored Links
Back