Chimney Gather Support..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've started a little diy project - installing a solid fuel stove in place of an open fire. Have Taken out fireback.
On the grounds that theres no such thing as a stupid question (and being that its far to serious not to be 100% sure), am I right in thinking that in the photos below, the two chunks of concrete on either side have no supporting role??? Before removing the two sides of the fireback fitted in under those two chunks.
pic 1
pic2
From the pics, you can see the outline of the rectangular concrete 'chimney gather' that funnels up to meet flue opening. There doesn't seem to be much of an overlap at the sides in terms of it sitting on the masonry blockwork.

Can I hack back those two chunks of concrete on either side??

(house built 2005).

Sponsored Links
I took them out. I know it was obivous - but as a diy novice, I just got a bit para ...bit of a brown pants moment!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back