Chimney leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Discovered this in attic.

I'm assuming flash around chimney?
It's between me and next door as house is a semi. Next door said his attic is fine.
This tends to be bad during certain weather so I'd imagine it's a wind direction rain thing. Sometimes hardly anything during rain. A few house I've seen around here have the chimney removed replaced with pipes.

Obviously I need some quotes would this require scaffolding (some regulation?) Or will someone to go up on roof ladders.
Just speculating, thanks for any help

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OP,
Before doing anything else why not post pics of all four sides of the chimney stack showing the flashing, & a pic or two of the flaunching and pots?

FWIW: your loft party wall needs bricking up for fire & safety reasons.

I'll try to zoom in on my side see if I can get a decent pic tommorow. Need a drone :)
Yeh the party wall is a single skin

Last edited:
OP,
Before doing anything else why not post pics of all four sides of the chimney stack showing the flashing, & a pic or two of the flaunching and pots?

FWIW: your loft party wall needs bricking up for fire & safety reasons.
Few of back and 1 front. Not done neighbours side. To me look lifted bit lifted off slate at back and not pressed tight on chimney bricks. Prob hard to say without a good look?
Can't do flaunching really

Attachments

• 20240412_140355.jpg
    20240412_140355.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240412_140302.jpg
    20240412_140302.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240412_140254.jpg
    20240412_140254.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240412_140253.jpg
    20240412_140253.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240412_140239.jpg
    20240412_140239.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OP,
Thanks for the pics.The flashing looks to be in good order except that the stepped cover flashing comes down too far.
The flashing would need close examination from a position on the roof.
Look for individual soakers under each slate.
The pointing on the stack is very poor, and needs raking out to 25mm and repointing.
Lifting & re-setting the last ridge tile might help? Does the lead saddle go under the ridge tile?
The top of the stack is failing and allowing foliage growth - foliage will loosen brickwork. Its very probable that the flaunching needs re-doing.

FWIW: Your single skin, loft party wall doesn't need reinforcing - it needs building up to the underside of the roof.

Looks in reasonable condition, repoint the brick, the waters probably getting in through the stack, or maybe the back gutter.

What looks "in reasonable condition"?
"getting in through the stack" means what?
There is no "back gutter".

Thanks for the replies
I see what you mean about the ridge tile and the lead being underneath but I guess it depends how they've done it under the ridge tile. All speculation, someone needs get up there.
Like said there's other activity around here with chimneys I'll have to ask about. House built in 1920s so poor chimney doing ok, and serving the local birds and grow area :)

The pointing on the stack is very poor, and needs raking out to 25mm and repointing.
yeh.. even a quick flash fix is likely temporary fix as like I'd mentioned I can count a few in street had chimney removal.
Also a few have had the chimney lowered down where they removed about half the height. They were doing it closeby recently. Took a few days after scaffolding been. This sounds good as chimney looks nice.

Lifting & re-setting the last ridge tile might help? Does the lead saddle go under the ridge tile?
The top of the stack is failing and allowing foliage growth - foliage will loosen brickwork. Its very probable that the flaunching needs re-doing.

FWIW: Your single skin, loft party wall doesn't need reinforcing - it needs building up to the underside of the roof.

Yeh.about 25 years ago when I lived here (was my nans place) I stuff rockwool.in there as you can see. Have recently boarded the center so much easier to wander around up here, then I noticed the chimney doing the rafters in. Sure this is not new.
Finally the fluorescent fitting my gramps had put in gave in last week and tripped the rcd. Put an led strip in.
Added.a.few.of those under felt vents you can see one. Lots of condensation and can't see any vents just one tile vent

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back