Chimney flashing for idiots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Water is leaking down my chimney in heavy rain. I'm going to get a tower and roof ladder and have a look next week.

The roof is standard UK tiles, very much like this
roof%20tiles.jpg

The chimney is joined to next door(semi detached house) and comes through the roof just below the ridge. The flashing seems to sit on top of the tiles.
I plan on checking the pointing is all sound and lead is holding in place. Is there anything else to check/do?

Can anyone point me to a good resource to learn about this? I've watched the videos on JustLead.co.uk but they are for slate roofs, are they all the same?

Many thanks

Adam

Sponsored Links
how old is your house and a few pictures will help. try typing lead flashing into you tube

The house was built in the early 60's. I'll take some pictures whe. I get home from work

Thanks
Adam

Here is a picture, it looks like the stepped flashing on the side has come dislodged. Does it look like it can be put back or does it need replacing? Does it look as if it has been done correctly and so I can just put it back how it looked like it was originally?

Many Thanks
Adam

Sponsored Links
get yourself a tube of lead seal before you get on the roof and you may find it just wants fitting back in if your not sure whats going on take a peak at your neighbours side an you should see how it should be

you will find it a lot easier to fill the joints when you have cleaned the old mortar out with mastic gun and lead seal

If the 'bump' in the tile is not up against the side of chimney under the lead (which it isn't) then the lead soaker needs to extend over the nearest bump (which it doesn't) so you need to re-do the lead so it extends over that nearest bump to avoid rain getting in.

Although you can't see from this angle I would suspect that the lead saddle (which is a soaker that bends over the ridge) is also missing, you'll need to take off the ridge nearest the chimney to sort out all of the above.

If the 'bump' in the tile is not up against the side of chimney under the lead (which it isn't) then the lead soaker needs to extend over the nearest bump (which it doesn't) so you need to re-do the lead so it extends over that nearest bump to avoid rain getting in.

x2

I have just found out that you can enlarge the pictures wow! I was thinking how can you see all that" well you learn something new every day computers well they have a lot of buttons thats all I know.

Although you can't see from this angle I would suspect that the lead saddle (which is a soaker that bends over the ridge) is also missing, you'll need to take off the ridge nearest the chimney to sort out all of the above.

Sorry but I'm not 100% with the terminology around roofing, by soaker do you mean the sheet of lead that can be seen sitting over the roof tiles and up the side of the chimney and joined in the mortar joints, or is there more going on under the lead than I have under stood?

I'm not going to be able to do anything with the ridge as it would mean work on the adjoining house roof, which isn't leaking and has never leaked (the lady living there has had the house since new) so she doesn't want her side disturbed.

I have just found out that you can enlarge the pictures wow! I was thinking how can you see all that" well you learn something new every day computers well they have a lot of buttons thats all I know.

Many thanks for the responses, glad my post has taught someone something

yes the piece of lead that I can now see more clearly that is sitting on the tiles is called a soaker and was once fitted into the mortar on the chimney or tucked under another piece of lead. look at the other side and it should become clear what as come loose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back