Chimney liner in damp chimmey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have just had our chimney replaced as though in use with log burner it was all soaking wet and even running down chimney
The contractor was 100% fantastic at lead work and as we need a liner due to the state of the brick chimney I have the following question.
As the scaffolding is still in place he has offered to drop our pre purchased high grade 5inch liner down for us as the chimney was previously unlined
The issue is that that the interior of the chimney is still wet and though it would be good to have liner installed by him now to save money I am concerned that once sealed the damp will.not dry as the liner is 10 m high and double skinned and am concerned the damp would destroy the liner.
Though further expense I am thinking of letting the chimney dry until the summer then once dry having the liner installed.
Meant to say the liner will be attached to the fire by a registered Hetas fitter
Any advise would be appreciated
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Won't the heat from the liner counter the damp.

What does the hetas fitter say?

Blup

Your woodburner will run far more effectively with the liner in place. The liner will radiate heat into the brickwork- as long as your flue isn't hermetically sealed the residual water should evaporate and disperse. Bricks are porous anyway so the water will exit eventually whatever. Stainless steel is pretty resistant to water corrosion (there's always some water vapour going up the inside of the liner).

Sponsored Links
Hi Thanks for the replies spoke to Hetas person and they suggested that as chimney still OK to carry on using fire to dry chimney then he will install liner in a month. Thanks for advise though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back