Chimney problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so i live in an old bungalow that used to have an open fire. when i moved in there was an electric fire placed infront of the opening and a timber board over the old chimney.

Since then i've had a wood burner fitted, and the chimney was smoke tested etc.

Ok, very long story short, i was slow burning wood and i think i've choked up the chimney. i've had it swept and there is a black sticky liquid seeping through the plaster in the upstairs bedroom and it smells like stale fire.

I've cleaned and painted over it using Zisser BIN, but even that is cracking and the smell is starting to come back.

My question: do i hack off the old plaster, dry line and re-plaster or just replaster the chimney. how can i avoid this happening again?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Why not have a look at this site: stovefittersmanual.co.uk - Do i need to fit a liner?

Whatever, the existing carbon caked flue might need to be cleaned with flail wires or even chains to dislodge the hard carbonised soot from the masonry flue walls.
A camera down the flue is an excellent form of inspection - before and after cleaning. Drop your own phone camera down on a wire or string.

Did the HETAS leave a Certificate of Compliance?
Did the HETAS install a CO detector/alarm?
Did the HETAS check the ventilation in the room?

The "black sticky liquid" is coming through the flue walls from the chemically affected soot.
You will have to hack off all plaster to the affected chimney breast and render with sand and lime render. Dont dry line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back