chimney query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

new to the forum ( i can see myself getting very addicted ..)

my house has a chimney section at the first floor only. At some point the ground floor section (the kitchen) and the stack above the roof has been removed. Im wanting to remove the first floor section as its ruining the plan for the bathroom. it looks like the bathroom section is just hanging and has been for some time.

Its a terraced house and all but one on the street have also had their stacks removed above the roof - presumably they were a bit likely to fall over . can see in the street view photo that mine has had a roof patch where chimney would have been.

im a bit confused about how houses of this period were built. so ive a few questions...

- do you see any issue in knocking out the remaining section? is it in anyway supporting the roof? trying to work out why it was ever left in...?
- what purpose are the protruding bricks doing on the external wall (circled red) air bricks?
- I presume i need to tell building control?
- lastly - out of curiosity it looks like the lathe and plaster ceiling extends beyond the brick line and into the free section of the chimney - would this not have been a massive fire hazard? or does this indicate that the ceiling was remade (In lathe and plaster) at the time the chimney came down? if this is the case, that chimney must have been shortened a long time ago

a picture says a thousand words. so heres a thousand pictures ..

many thanks

upload_2021-1-31_11-52-23.png

upload_2021-1-31_11-52-30.png

upload_2021-1-31_11-55-14.png

upload_2021-1-31_11-55-24.png

upload_2021-1-31_11-55-43.png

upload_2021-1-31_11-55-53.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-31_11-52-42.png
    upload_2021-1-31_11-52-42.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 102
Sponsored Links
No.. I don't know.. Think your questions should be put to building control. Local building practices I guess with bricks sticking out and wood over wall. It's good you've spotted this and have an interest though. Hope you get helpful person that will enjoy the questions

Sponsored Links
Thanks. To clarify, do you mean building control section on here? Or an actual LA inspector? At the min I'm just weighing up what the hassle vs benefits of removing it are

Ta

Council building control. Just ring and say your thinking of removing bla bla and take it from there. What's involved. What cost.. Think about it then and decide on best way forward

If you completely remove the chimney it won't need B Regs.

Even if it exposes external solid wall brickwork which may need its insulation upgrading prior to replastering?

Even if it exposes external solid wall brickwork which may need its insulation upgrading prior to replastering?
It won't expose anywhere near enough for Part L to apply.

It won't expose anywhere near enough for Part L to apply.

neither of the two other sides od the external wall is insulated anyway! so it would be a drop in the ocean . i am planning to stud it out and insulate it though as its baltic in there currently

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back