Chimney - rebuild or repoint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a chimney that I've been asked to look at for a relative of mine. The joints look quite open and in need of repointing, but I'm also wondering if it would be better for the chimney to be taken down brick by brick and rebuilt again. When you look at the top area, it looks as if it is curved as though both sides of the chimney have settled down. If so, how far would down the chimney would it be appropriate to take it down to ?

Any words of wisdom or advice would be appreciated as well as an idea of what it should cost in the region of to do.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
I can't see any cracks particularly so I think if the joints were raked out and repointed that would be fine.
Its impossible to see the state of the cement flaunching from here and that usually gives a clue towards any movement if its cracked....its almost sure to be loose in any case.
Only my opinion though!
John :)

Sponsored Links
it looks pretty good condition apart from the top course and flaunching, repointing with a weatherd joint and making good the top may be suffice also once done treat with a water seal. it is difficult to see from the picture but if you decide to rebuild then it is worth doing properly and taking down to 150mm above the roof line and putting a complete lead tray through and another 150mm above ridge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back