Chimney problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Just been told today that my chimney needs repointing or another option is to just get it pulled down. He didn't give me an estimate for the repointing but said it would cost in the region of £450 to remove the chimney, i dont want to be paying over the odds so does anyone know what it should be to do either one?
:?:

please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
£450 wouldn't be too much for pulling a chimney down. I'd say its a bargain, considering access and safety at the height . . . And dont forget making good the roof afterwards too.

The repointing shouldn't be much more than £100/200 (guesswork here but prices will vary across the country) but it really depends how much chimney is exposed above the roofline, and how wide it is!

Sponsored Links
Have it repointed, you may need it one day. I doubt it would be much different to removal for costs as the scaffolding would still be needed either way.

I've recently had a quote for £1500 to rebuild a chimney and £300 of that was for the scaffold. Does your builder have wings?

I did a roof a few months ago where the customer wanted the chimney removing. Its a pretty straight forward job.

Has already stated, just a question of making the roof good once removed

Before.jpg

After.jpg

LOL.

well you know what its like, once i got up there i found a cracked tile and a bird's nest so there was no choice but to replace the lot :D

Roof was totaly shot at. Never seen one as bad. The house had been empty for quite a few years.

I hope your going to paint the out side walls to go with the roof. :LOL: ;) it looks like the new roof should be on next doors instead. :LOL:

Nothing to do with me mate, not my house. passed it the other day and it still looks as it did in the picture.

Except the scaffold is down :LOL:

Next doors roof is relatively new about 10 years old i would say

How much more difficult is it when the chimney goes straight through the centre of the house?

I have recently bought an ex local authority 1950's semi with a chimney going straight through the middle. Its totally unused and I have thought of getting the whole thing removed from the ground floor up to make more room.

The whole house has got to be decorated, have windows replaced, heating fitted etc so theres no worries about ruining decor! The chimney is also going to need pointing so I figure if someone has to go up there they may as well bring the thing down with them.

So a couple of questions? Anyone know if this is likely to require planning permission? Is the cost of doing this likely to outweigh the benefits significantly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back