Chimney removal - does the flue need to be vented top and bottom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm soon planning to remove a brick chimney that is connected to an unused fireplace in my bungalow.

Once the chimney stack has been reduced to the roof line do I need to install something like a vent tile where it was removed so that the flue has some airflow? Or can it just be left 'open' with only roof felt, a batten or two and tiles above it?

There is a small plastic sliding vent in the room where the fireplace was removed and covered over many years ago.

Sponsored Links
The air in an unvented chimney stack condenses, this can cause damp. To avoid this in a blocked off/redundant fire, you fit a 9"x9" vent at the base and a vent cowl on the top (or some kind of mesh etc..)

There's a thread somewhere asking about what happens if the chimney stack was taken down below tile level.

Not all closed stacks causes damp, but that's why stacks are vented after disuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back