Chimney removal stack support calcs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I would like some advice on the following if possible..

We are planning on having the chimneys removed from downstairs and upstairs in a 3 bed semi, but leave the stack. Our neighbours have already removed the chimneys. Our neighbours are unlikely to agree to any stack removal, no one gets along with them anymore. BC said we likely need a cranked beam and that they generally don't like to see gallow brackets used(Hounslow, west London.) He came around for an inspection on an extension.

I'm after a ball park figure for a structural report/ calculation that BC would be happy with. There isn't any drawings so the engineer would need to visit I guess. This would be in west London. Just don't want to get ripped off. I called one guy and he said £650+vat which was a shock.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Can you post a picture of the chimney in the loft, and of one outside. If the chimneys tied into the brickwork, then a gallows backets should be fine, as they don't (age old argument on here though) provide an structural support, they just stop the lowest course of bricks from dropping down, which would then allow the next course to drop and at some point, go though the ceiling. Find out if that's the departments policy, or the that particular BCO.

But it could be that in not knowing what the neighbours have done, he's playing safe. why does it need to be cranked, and would he accept a flitch beam instead.

The neighbours might accept a stack removal if there was no cost to them, and you might find a bottle of scotch helps with you're negotiations with them. If the BCO forces you to a cranked beam, then I suspect it might well cost less to get the stack removed.

Presumably a cranked beam so that it could sit up a little between the rafters and follow the roof line?
That could be expensive in terms of fabrication.
If you could have one of the beams just below the ceiling, and the other above, you could avoid the need to crank them.
The beams can overlap over the central wall (assuming it is load-bearing and goes down to ground floor level).

There is no justification for cranking a beam, as you could use a 8x3 (or even steel) to then provide the support, so the BCO suggesting you're likely going to need a cranked beam, suggests he doesn't quite know what he'd doing - IMHO that is.

Sponsored Links
Scan0103.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back