Chimney Removal to roof level

ok so still confused this is my point no one actually knows on here do they! Is anyone here a roofer who actually knows the correct answer

Sponsored Links
It is standard practice to vent cavity walls and a chimney has/is a cavity.
No it isn't.

Leave the chimney open and see what happens.

Check in the loft in the depths of winter on a cold day and look for any condensation build-up on the rafters or roof felt etc.

If there is nowt then leave the chimney alone.

If this chimney were say in a kitchen whereby a lot of moisture was migrating into the loft then i would be wary. Otherwise, just leave it open and monitor.

Maybe you will prove me to be wrong or false but first, of course, you will have to provide an argument based on facts.

Its an internal flue!

If the vents/openings serving the flues are sealed where is this moisture going to come from???

Sponsored Links
ok so still confused this is my point no one actually knows on here do they!

Some do! some don't.
As per Alistair, it matters not.

If it were anything other than a chimney then you would just bung it up with some insulation.

However, because the chimney masonry may be saturated with contaminants such as hygroscopic salts etc, it may be wise just to keep the air moving through it.

In reality, you should not be introducing moist air into the loft that will inevitably migrate there from the habitable part of the house. If the loft is well ventilated then any moisture laden air will be dealt with.

Either bung it up and see what happens to the chimney masonry or leave it open and see what happens in the loft on a cold day.

One of our chimneys/flues is sealed at the bottom and open at the top - it has been like this for a couple of years, and we have no issues.

(Maybe the insulated plasterboard on the walls hides possible damp patches?)

So, and I don't mean to sound clever (far from it), what are the real life risks that stir such a debate?

Tom

In theory any moisture in the rooms (which are left open) served by the stack can vent into the attic.

In reality unless you were venting a sauna i wouldnt lose any sleep over it.

The fireplace on the first floor is closed off, so the sealed fireplace in question is only open at the top (outside, not loft space) and is on an external wall....

But it has been like that for years, as I said, and we suffer not issues.

I appreciate it is more than an old wifes tale, but what really is/will going to happen if left like this??

Cheers
Tom

I appreciate it is more than an old wifes tale, but what really is/will going to happen if left like this?? CheersTom
Hence my suggestion of "suck it and see".

If it were my chimney i would probably plug it.

We did a job aboot three and a half years ago whereby we left it open into the loft and there have been no complaints.

Alastairreid,

Constantly saying the same thing again and again ( repetition ), and expecting a different result is not an argument, its obsession.

I asked three or four questions last tuesday, and i'm still waiting for a reply to even a single question.

Alastairreid,

Constantly saying the same thing again and again ( repetition ), and expecting a different result is not an argument, its obsession.

I asked three or four questions last tuesday, and i'm still waiting for a reply to even a single question.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Flue+sulpherisation

Any more questions use the search function Dan.

You still aint answered where all this moisture from a sealed vent is coming from! :rolleyes:

Your google reference is a nonsense.

It refers to Desulferisation ie. to removing sulfur dioxide from flue gases.
Perhaps you didn't understand what you were reading - its understandable.

Sulfurisation actually lacks the prefix "de", plus the sulfurisation in the sooty flues that we are discussing is the reaction of sulfur compounds to RH.

I notice as you flail and wriggle to sustain your lost argument that last tuesday you referred to "this moisture", on wednesday to " this moisture", and on friday its "all this moisture", suddenly suggesting an increase in moisture. Dishonest argument. Dont do it, it blocks learning.

The question you ask was earlier answered by my brief explanation - perhaps, read it again. Read carefully.

My questions still stand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back