Chimney stack removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering removing a chimney stack just below roof level
The chimney stack has already been taken down to four course of brick above roof and capped off with flagstones. I have taken a few chimney stacks down before but never one which is at the gable end.
if i remove this chimney whats the best way of forming a new apex i was thinking to disk cut the new apex into the existing brickwork.
Any pitfalls to watch out for?

Sponsored Links
There are probably two basic ways of doing this but its really a job where site calls are the most important, and any proper explanation would need sketches and photos.

You could drop the brick courses below the verge line or any barge board line.
Create a shoulder with say a conc flag(s) to shallow falls.
And then make good/replace any remaining inner chimney breast face wall with clean brick.
Then make good to the roof and verge.
Insert an air brick.

Another method would be to drop the brickwork as above, and then re-build to an apex using cut bricks.
The apex must stop below the barge board or verge line.
Make good to the roof and verge.
Insert an air brick.

There are too many variables to safely advise you eg. how the ridge and any purlins are supported, and its only after dropping the chimney breast below the verge that the particular building detail will be exposed.
Cutting with a disc might expose sooty brickwork, and how deep is the cheek depth? Is there a liner?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies
How do i fix the new battens to the new apex verge Also how far do i leave the batten from the end of the verge to allow For the mortar bedding?
When the stack is lowered below roof level should i cap off and vent with an air brick on the outside wall?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back