Chimney repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I live in a terraced house and our chimney needs to be repaired. The chimney is for our use only and always has been. It sits to the left of the house. One side of the chimney appears to be over the party wall boundary, i.e. on the neighbour’s side. They have their own chimney to the left of their property.

The damage is entirely on the side of chimney on the “neighbour’s side”. Interestingly, there is evidence that the chimney on our side has been repointed relatively recently. The difference between both sides is quite stark.

I’m assuming I’m responsible for the whole repair. Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
You are correct, but you will need neighbours permission to access the elevation of the chimney on their property.

I would say your neighbour owns the bit on their side, and technically you can't go on their land without permission, the deeds should be checked though.

Practically speaking if you get on with your neighbour then they shouldn't be unhappy at you repairing their half at your expense.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back