Chimney Repoint or Rebuild?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we moved into our house a year ago the survey said that the chimney's needed repointing. With all the wind and adverse weather we've had lately I've decided that it's probably about time we got around to this...

I've asked a few local companies for quotes and interestingly have so far had two very different quotes - one who has said it needs rerendering and reflonching, and one who says that it needs entirely rebuilding...

Needless to say, the quotes are significantly different, with the rebuild being around £1k and the rerender/reflonch being around £400

So, my question is, how can I tell which I actually need? Either person a) is leading me on, or person b) is too inexperienced to tell what actually needs doing...

Look forward to the feedback - thanks!

Sponsored Links
You could post a pic. for us all - some of us live in Sussex :D PS it`s Flaunching ;) Rendering / leadwork isn`t a problem . This forum can tell you what you need from a few pictures

Sponsored Links
Absolutely nothing. The flue is shot, so we just have a decorative fireplace as we couldnt justify the cost for replacement

Drop the chimneyhead below the roofline and tile it over.

No more maintenance.

Definitely drop and roof over - unless you`re in a conservation area where the Powers might not like it ;) You might even get some salvage value out of some bricks / chimney pots - to pay for the slates ( I`m assuming they are slates , not tiles )

1. So the quotes are for both chimney stacks? A. claims to rebuild two stacks for £1000, and B. claims to render and flaunch both stacks for £400?
With respect to your builders, both quotes are extremely cheap.

2. Dropping the stacks and making good has been suggested - thing is, that stacks ( flues and c/breasts) add value to a property.

3. FWIW: Your pics were too dim for me to make out details, but i did notice that the wall rendering was well cracked.

Thanks for your responses.

I don't want to get rid of the chimney stacks as they wouldnt match the rest of the road then and therefore would be worried at the impact on house price.

Agree - i thought both quotes were reasonable for the work suggested, I just want to be sure what the work actually needed is.

Not sure how i can get a better picture with the backlight from the sky...

What will define if they need rebulding as opposed to repointing though?

How many quotes have you had and what did the others say?

Just the two so far - contacted a few others and they havent come back to me.

If you aren't getting any problems then don't do anything. Just because a dopey surveyor uses these things to make it looks like he's done something for his ludicrously high fee doesn't mean it really needs doing.

If you aren't getting any problems then don't do anything. Just because a dopey surveyor uses these things to make it looks like he's done something for his ludicrously high fee doesn't mean it really needs doing.

Lol - thanks.

My main worry is that i'm going to wake up one morning with the chimney through the roof! (or even worse, the neighbours porch!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back