Chimney Spinner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the correct place to post but as it's on the roof I figured it might go here - apologies if I've posted in the wrong place!

I've got a ~30 year old house, it used to have a gas fire in the living room and has a flue pipe which manages to run inside the wall (ie no chimney breast inside and no buldge on the outside). We no longer have a gas fire and the Set top box / dvd player etc is where the fire used to be.

I don't seem to get any major draft but I probably lose some heat through up the chimney but my biggest problem is that it gets quite noisy when it is windy. I'm guessing the noise is due to the spinner on top of the chimney but I'm not 100% sure.

The noise is worst in one of the kids rooms (the chimney would run inside the wall in that room) - On a windy night it gets really noisy and wakes her up.

Am I right in that it will probably be the spinner? Should I have it removed? If it is removed what should it be replaced with? As the chimney is not used could it be capped?

Would something like stuffing the bottom of the chimney (in the living room) with insulation do anything to stop it - just thinking it might stop the air flowing as much?? I realise the spinner should still spin but maybe the noise wouldn't travel???

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply - does it need to be vented? Just thinking if it was sealed then it may help to keep in heat?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back