Chimney stack removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I live in a terraced house 1930's and my neighbour has recently just started a loft conversion and is all going well and has kept me well informed, This where the issues start, she has asked the builders to render the chimney stack but builders have told her the stack is in a bad way and not worth repairing and is cheaper to take the stack away, she has scaffolding up already and neighbour has agreed 2 pay for it, do we need planning?, she also has building inspector and she has told me that she will make sure that the work will be carried out properly, my main worry is do we need to sign any kind of agreement for future reference incase any questions are asked if I sell or have a major fall out,God forbid the roof leaks and I have a flood and will insurance company need to see proof of work?, I do not want to see the wool pulled over my eyes and would appreciate any response ,thanks

Sponsored Links
Unless it's a listed building, you would not need planning permission to drop the chimney.
Before starting work, the neighbour should have applied the provisions of the Party Wall Act, but if that has not been done, it does not absovle her of her responsibilities.
I'm sure other forum members will elaborate on this for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back