Chimney stack replacment quotes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house we bought last year has a chimney (on a slate roof) which it turns out was repaired some time ago with useless cheap stuff... and is now sodden through the brickwork (damp patches on walls upstairs and downstairs) and letting water past the (plastic) flashing.

We've been advised to have the whole stack off, and a lead tray fitted and new lead flashing, and some repair work to a couple of roof timbers which are wet and rotten (tho not structually worrying appearantly). Which is fine - we'd rather get it sorted properly than take a punt just on new flashing. We've had a couple of quotes for about £1500 which seems fairly reasonable for the amount of work.... but my wife's had a chap round today who reckons it shouldn't cost more than about £600, and anyone who says more is trying it on.

As we haven't a clue, and are a bit nervous given the work was clearly done on the cheap before leading to current problems....
What do you folks reckon?

TIA

Sponsored Links
I would say that is too cheap, especially as the scaffold will cost at least half his quote to erect!(im guessing because i haven't seen your house or chimney!) doesn't leave alot for anything else in my opinion!
Hope this helps
Dave

but my wife's had a chap round today who reckons it shouldn't cost more than about £600, and anyone who says more is trying it on.

TIA
£600

Mutley_laughing.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back