Roofing quote and correct way to cap chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just been given a quote of £1800. This is to cap 3 chimneys and one cowl on one end of the house and 1 on the other end. Also to repair leaks from both stacks coming causing water to enter inside gable wall in the attic. Think this is going to be pointing done around the lead flashing. He says that scaffolding will be needed which will increase the cost and I can see that is probably the case as its a steep roof with chimney top about 6 feet about the apex of the roof. Does this quote seem reasonable?

Also couple of questions about the job itself. He intends to cap the chimney completely but I had always thought that there needed to be a vent at the top and bottom of a sealed stack? As it is sandstone, should lime mortar be used?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thru ventilation should be maintained throughout each flue by vents installed to chimney stack and bottom of flue.

Sandstone should be pointed with lime render.

Dont know if your quote is excessive you should get another 2 for comparison.

Thanks Alastair, I have a slight concern in that although he offered to drill a few holes in the cap if that was what I wanted he didn't seem to see the need to vent the stack after capping. He also seemed to be talking about using cement which I know is not good for sandstone.

I think I will get some other quotes.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back