ChimneyBreast Damp Advice Please

S

shelaghb

A few years ago, I consulted this site asking for advice on damp on the lounge chimney breast. I was pointed in the direction that the cause could be salt crystals. As the room was papered in Anaglypta, the problem was never really addressed as the only evidence of the damp was the pattern of the paper in the area was more prominent than the rest.

However, because other work has been done, it was decided to tackle this problem at th same time. As a consequence, the chimney breast has been stripped down to bare brick and allowed to dry. I would now appreciate any advice as to what to treat the chimney breast with, before the total replaster. It has been suggested to use Black Jack, but I was wondering if there was any other product that could be used to seal the brick other than this.

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Is the chimney still in use?
If so a mesh membrane then plastered, maybe a good solution.
If the chimney is not in use, ventilation at ground floor level and a rain stop cowling on the pot.
Plus a sweep of the chimney.

Thank you prenticeboy - No, the chimney hasn't been in use since we moved in 10 years ago. We had the stack removed to below roof level try and solve the problem - which it didn't.

Has the remainder of the stack been ventilated.
As damp can be trapped within the stack and this is one reason why you are having staining on your internal walls.
So a vent at lower room level and a vent at a higher room level, should help prevent this.

Sponsored Links
PrenticeBoy - A vent was put 2' from the floor on the side of the chimney breast and as far as I am aware, it is only covered with a piece with a piece of wood in the loft space - it is a bungalow by the way

Well remove the wood or install a vent at the higher level, it's no good having just one ventilation point as the air can not circulate in a correct manor.

Thanks for your assistance prenticeboy - will get onto that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back