Chipboard or OSB 3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been to B&Q to check out loft boards and see there are two types available.

Chipboard and OSB 3 (or is it OBS 3)??

The OSB was almost twice the price as the chipboard and only 15mm thick compared to 18mm for the chipboard.

Which is the better material for boarding out a loft (used for storage).

TIA

Sponsored Links
Either. OSB3 is much stronger, but that's a moot point because there's only so much weight the loft will take. The ceiling will probably give way before you go through a sheet of 18mm chipboard.

Thanks for the reply. The OSB 3 is 15mm thick (the chipboard is 18mm). Looks like I will have to go with OSB 3 anyway as my joists are 600mm centres. The chipboard pack from B&Q are for 406mm centres.

The fibre glass insulation sticks up quite a bit over the joists, I presume just compressing it is ok so I can screw to the joists?

Sponsored Links
Have a look at other loft boarding posts for the whole idea of counterbattens. Basically adding lengths of timber at right angles on top of the joists, this spreads the load evenly, helps maintain insulation depths and avoids pipes and cables. Plus you can adjust the centres for whatever boards you like.

I would strongly recommend this option if you have 600mm centres.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back