Loft floor boarding - direction of boards on counterbattens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please excuse what is a stupid question - but I just can't seem to find an answer anywhere

I want to board my loft using the small 18mm T&G chipboards available from Wickes, B&Q etc. I need to counterbatten across the existing joists so that the boards clear the cables that are run over them

Which way do the chipboards then run? Do the long sides of the boards (i.e. the sides that are T&G) go in line with the counterbattens - or in line with the existing joists underneath?

I can only apologise for the question

Sponsored Links
I ran mine with the battens running across the roof timbers, and the board running across the battens. Place the battens so that you have no less then one batten under each end of the boards and one in the middle. I packed loft insulation between the battens, having already insulated between the loft timbers level with the tops.

You should leave an air gap under the boards to allow airflow and prevent condensation.

BTW if you have the room and the strength to manhandle an 8x2 board into the loft, you will find it much cheaper, as well as stronger because it has fewer joints

always run your boards perpendicular to whatever therye bearing onto.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back