Simple boarding of loft floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a traditional 4bed 1940's detached house and I want to put some simple boarding in the loft to allow us to store and easily access stuff up there.

I know you can buy the loft boards from the likes of B&Q and Wickes, which come in packs of like 3. But I am thinking of using chipboard as it is meant to be cheaper.

I can get 15mm thick chipboard, basically at NO cost and want to know if that will be thick/strong enough to use for the flooring in the loft? (obviously they will be cut correctly to meet at the joists and screwed in).

(I don't want to convert the area to living space, just merely for storage space).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If that is all you are doing and the weights are the usual sort of junk (Not grand pianos or beds) then yes.
If it is anything more complicated or adventurous, try the search facility on here.
Sounds like a good supplier!

Thanks for the post TonyW2. It will just be the usual storage items (no beds or piano's etc...)

So just to confirm, the 15mm thick chipboard is strong enough to use to board out the loft flooring?

Also, do all 4 edges of the chipboard need to meet on the joist OR just 2 edges?

Oh, and what size wood screws should I use?

Thanks for your help...

Sponsored Links
You could not get all 4 edges on joists without fixing cross battens!
Two edges MUST be on the joist junction. Try to fix lengthwise across the joists, so that each panel lies on at least 3 joists.You will probably need to cut your freeby panels.
Use any screws that you have- about 30mm long. None of this is vital for your purpose.
Do, though take care not to trap any wires or pipes that may lie over the joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back