Chipboard subfloor solid oak and glue or Engineered flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've been back and forth trying to decide on which flooring to use. Different shops/contractors all seem to contradict each other.

I have found a supplier of high quality solid oak that would be much cheaper than any engineered flooring (it also looks much better) so am hoping to use it only problem is that I have 18mm flooring grade chipboard (green less moisture sensitive version), it is on grade with several inches to the ground, I have read that it doesn't take nails very well so am planning to glue it. Question is can I? (some sites say not with chipboard but the adhesive manufacturers say yes) and can anyone recommend an adhesive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated especially if you have tried it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice WoodYouLike, I have now bought the solid wood, it looks great (8 layers of laquer and varnish all round which I haven't seen before).

My next worry is (and maybe I'm being over cautios here) should I use a floor sealer on the chipboard. I have a good deal on Bona R850 adhesive and thought I might use the R410 floor sealer.

Background:
1.18 year old house with sound DPM.
2.Chipboard does look slightly more stained round edges (see pic) but feels solid and dry, maybe created when plastering walls?
3.Crawl space is 12" to subfloor where i can see it although feels like concrete underneath (see pic could just be, washing from concrete mixer etc.).

Am I just being paranoid? should I just stick the planks down

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_FLOOR1.JPG

Sponsored Links
Go with your own feeling, it doesn't harm to apply the sealer anyway. Read the instructions carefully, use the proper tools and leave it for the instructed drying time if you choose the sealer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back