chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am asking about the chemicals in chipboard.
I have a potential use for chipboard which would require minimum chemical content in case of danger to plant and animal life. What kinds of glue are used? Is it possible to specify a type of chipboard with minimum or agreed chemical content?

Tahks
John Evans

Sponsored Links
I think chipboard used to be made with a urea-formaldehyde glue or sim ilar and the main problem was the emission of formaldehyde which causes irritation, dependent on individual sensitivity, to eyes/nose/throat. The amount of formaldehyde emission seemed quite difficult to predict and did wear off after a time (months or even years!). I am a bit out of date but I think manufacturers have started producing low formaldehyde boards. You may find a manufacturer's web site. Try 'caberboard'. A company called 'cellotex' make boards using similar, but different materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back