I presume I will use chipboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing a bit of redecorating in my flat and I want to cover two duct pipes, one in the kitchen and another in the bathroom.

The previous owner had cover them with chipboard (which I had to remove) and since chipboard is light and cheap I presume that is what I will use a second time?

Do I need a special kind of board seeing as these are humid rooms?

Should I use sealant or similar or is a bit of polyfilla here and there OK?

I want the finished painted surface to look as similar as possible to the plastered walls – how do I achieve this? Are there types of chipboard that are better prepared for painting than others?

I will need to go over entire wall again with eggshell. How do I best prepare chipboard for eggshell?

All replies received with thanks!

Sponsored Links
Usually, these boxings are covered with plasterboard, then skimmed or filled over.

Or if plastering is not your thing use plywood, as it will need very minimal making good before decorating.

Usually, these boxings are covered with plasterboard, then skimmed or filled over.

Or if plastering is not your thing use plywood, as it will need very minimal making good before decorating.

Agreed.
Plasterboard and skim will give the better finish but if you may need access in the future, go with the plywood. Make sure it's WBP (weather and boil proof) otherwise, in damp/humid rooms, there is a risk of it de-laminating. Also ensure you use stainless or galvanised screws/nails otherwise they are likely to bleed rust spots through the paint. These can be filled over with a proprietary filler and rubbed down before painting. Use a good quality caulk for the internal corners.

BUMP

OK, so plasterboard it is. Do I need a special kind of plasterboard for Kitchen / Bathroom?

Will B&Qs Gyproc boards do? They are ready to be painted straight onto the paper surface right?

Sponsored Links
In the bathroom, you should use moisture resistant (MR) boards but this isn't usually so important in the kitchen.
The boards have one side which is suitable for decorating so, if you are not intending to skim them, you should use the tapered edge (T/E) boards and tape and fill the joints. Personally, I prefer boards to be skimmed as they are harder wearing and the joints won't show (which they can when only taped and filled), but you can decorate them directly.

OK, will follow your advice. Thanks.

Seems like Wickes is the best place to get what you describe.

But I forgot to ask. Should the batons I use to construct the box be anything special? If not I'll just get some softwood locally.

Sorry, I forgot you were only boxing pipes in so the advice regarding taping and filling the board joints isn't so essential and you might be ok to use standard boards rather than MR - you could also use square edge boards if you don't mind a bit of a join showing on the external corner(s). I'd prefer to use MR though, as there can sometimes be moisture build from both sides of boxed pipework.

You can use softwood battens to attach the boards - just pick a suitable size for the job. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back