Tips for painting old wardrobe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have some built-in wardrobes that look like they’re from the 70s or 80s and we want to freshen them up by painting them in a white eggshell. However I’ve never used eggshell before and I recently had a nightmare trying to use quick drying gloss on some woodwork elsewhere. Is quick drying eggshell paint as difficult to use as quick drying gloss? Also I presume I’ll need an undercoat, but I’m not sure if I need a certain kind for eggshell primer?

The wardrobe is some kind of high quality plywood with a thick outer layer that can be sanded quite easily.

Sponsored Links
I did something similar a few years ago. Definitely do a light sand and then use a primer. I have had no issues with the new paint scratching off etc

Attachments

• IMG_5771.JPG
    IMG_5771.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5955.JPG
    IMG_5955.JPG
    261.4 KB · Views: 33
As said, a light sanding and clean off with sugar soap. I’ve had good success paining a UPVC door and recently painted my wooden fireplace surround. I used this paint. Self undercoating and self levelling.

Sponsored Links
Water based eggshell will be more forgiving than water based gloss.

The outer layer that you refer to is it paint or something like melamine?

If paint, you don't need undercoat, but if you are changing the colour significantly, a coloured undercoat might be advisible.

If melamine/etc you will need a dedicated primer otherwise the eggshell will be prone to scratching off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back